The church probably dates back to a Salzburg foundation. A "curtis ad Trahove," mentioned in a document in 860, and the church "sancta maria ad dravum," mentioned in 927, referred to present-day Maria Rain. In 1144, a "Maria scalach" came to the Viktring Abbey. In 1313, "Ze unser Vrauen an dem Rain" is mentioned. From 1445 to 1456, a late Gothic new building was constructed with a north tower, which is preserved in the western part of the present church. The Lady Chapel was added in the middle of the 17th century. In 1658, the Holy Sepulchre Chapel, standing free on the east side of the church, was built. This was, however, demolished in 1692 and rebuilt as a right-hand side chapel in 1696 when the nave was extended to the east. The north tower with a pointed roof was built before that year, while the south tower was not completed until 1719. The church received its present form through a remodeling in 1729. Maria Rain, which was a daughter church of the Köttmannsdorf parish until 1788, was elevated to an independent parish during the Josephinian reforms. In 1906, a fire destroyed the church down to its foundations; in 1909, the church was reconsecrated after restoration. In 1985/86, the church was renovated, and in 1995, its interior was painted and its furnishings rearranged. (wikipedia)