The current structure of the church is the result of a significant remodeling carried out in the 18th century. The church has a rectangular floor plan and consists of three naves. The central nave is higher than the side naves and has a series of buttresses on its exterior walls. The bell tower, attached to one side of the building, consists of two bodies: a square tower with a brick rafter on which is located the octagonal bell tower with four semicircular arch openings, topped by a brick dome. The tower is plastered, while the octagonal body of the bell tower exposes the original stonework. The main façade is quite simple from a decorative point of view, presenting a door with a lintel framed by well-cut ashlars, a niche with a semicircular arch and an oculus at the top.
The bell tower is believed to be largely Romanesque, dating to the 12th-13th centuries. On the main façade there is an inscription dating from 1786, which indicates that the church, of Romanesque origin, was completely renovated in the 18th century. It is mentioned for the first time in the year 1226 (Sancti Jacobi de Spolla). Furthermore, it appears in a probably false document from 884, which affirms its belonging to the Monastery of Sant Quirze de Colera.