The Kavalier Hepp is a cavalier of the classicist state fortress in Ingolstadt.
The Ingolstadt City Museum in the Kavalier Hepp
It is a two-story, flat-roofed exposed brick building with obtuse-angled side wings and round stair towers. Construction of the Kavalier Hepp began in 1838. It was completed in 1843 and a representative gate building was built in front of it. The defensive building was named after the major of the Bavarian army Kaspar von Hepp (1758 to 1806). In front of it is the Outer Cross Gate, a representative gate building with the two fortress builders Daniel Specklin/Speckle and Count Reinhard zu Solms-Münzenberg as full equestrian figures, executed by the Munich sculptor Professor Ernst Mayer (1796–1844).[1]
However, the cavaliers in Ingolstadt lost their importance as early as 1875, when the outer fort belts were built. After the Second World War, emergency apartments were set up in Kavalier Hepp. In 1973, the city council decided not to demolish the Kavalier Hepp, but to renovate it. In 1975, the city archives and scientific library moved into the Kavalier, followed in 1981 by the Ingolstadt City Museum.
Source: Wikipedia