St. Cosmae Church
The present St. Cosmae Church was built in the 13th century as a single-nave hall building with a crossing, crossing arms, and a rectangular chancel. The massive octagonal crossing tower probably dates from this period, while the church lacked a west tower. Predecessors of the old council chapel can be traced back to around 1000.
In the 15th century, the chancel was expanded to include additional rooms, and in 1604, the bridal chamber was added. In the 17th century, the east façade received a new three-gabled front.
St. Cosmae burned down in 1659 and received new furnishings made in Hamburg. From this period are the St. Gertrude Altar (c. 1500), which was taken from St. Nicolai Church, which was demolished in 1834, a Crucifixion relief (c. 1580), and a chandelier. Between 1682 and 1684, the church received its impressive spire, which is now a landmark of the city. >>New: Tower tours...
Notable 17th-century furnishings include the main altar by Christian Precht (1677), the pulpit, the baptismal font, and especially the wrought-iron railings in the baptistery. The church was extensively renovated between 1963 and 1966, and especially between 1985 and 1991. A large portion of the exterior masonry was also replaced.