Route Planner
10

Deichtorhallen

Hiking Highlight

Created by komoot users
Recommended by 25 out of 26 hikers

Tips

  • Siegfried LG

    Between 1911 and 1914, the Deichtorhallen were built on the grounds of the former Berlin Station, the Hamburg counterpart to the Hamburger Bahnhof in Berlin, as market halls. They are one of the few surviving examples of the industrial architecture of the transitional period from Art Nouveau to the expressions of the 20th century. The two halls are open steel structures: the northern hall a three-nave long building with 3800 m² floor area, the southern hall (1800 m²) a central building with Lantern.The Deichtorhallen were restored by the Körber Foundation and are owned by the city of Hamburg. In 1989 they were handed over to the Deichtorhallen Exhibition GmbH. On November 9, 1989, the exhibition "Einleuchten von Harald Szeemann" opened the international art exhibition program of the halls.Dirk Luckow has been director of the Deichtorhallen Hamburg since 2009, which he heads together with the commercial director Bert Antonius Kaufmann.The Deichtorhallen in Hamburg are among the great exhibition halls for contemporary art and photography in Europe. The Halle for Contemporary Art and the Haus der Photographie are complemented by a branch in Hamburg-Harburg with the Falckenberg Collection.Sources:
    de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deichtorhallen
    deichtorhallen.de

    translated byView Original
  • JR56

    The Deichtorhallen stand on historical ground. With the new building of the main station originated starting from 1906 on the area of the Deichtormarkt. Initially only provisionally roofed, began in 1911, the construction of the fixed halls, which today offer the space for major international exhibitions.
    Despite the large area, the market halls for the rapidly growing city of Hamburg soon proved insufficient. After the removal of the wholesale market, the Deichtorhallen were still used as a wholesale flower market from 1963 to 1984. But since then they were abandoned to the creeping decline.
    Finally, the Hamburg industrialist Kurt A. Körber secured their preservation. The Körber Foundation took over the costs for the restoration and handed over the restored halls of the city of Hamburg in 1988 on the occasion of its 800th Harbor Birthday. Since then, they have been run by the Deichtorhallen Hamburg GmbH - with the purpose of cultivating the visual arts, especially in the 20th and 21st centuries.
    deichtorhallen.de/geschichte

    translated byView Original
  • Turbo

    Great art hall with changing exhibitions

    translated byView Original
  • Elevation10 m