Bike Touring Highlight
In 1651, a windmill was located on the scenic Geere Ridge. In its place 1761 the current gallery Dutch windmill was built. It is 29 m high, two-storey and provided with a thatched tower. Each of the four wings is eleven feet long. In order to be able to optimally adapt the grinding operation to the wind conditions, the retrofitting with a wind rose took place in 1912. Later, they built an electric motor. Until 1965, the "Dutchman" worked with two grinding operations and a roller mill. Then this mill fell victim to the mill dying - it was shut down. The mill has been open to the public since 1969 under the supervision of the "Association for the Conservation of the Achimer Windmill e.V." and the town of Achim.
At the request of the residents of the parishes Achim and Daverden approved Hans Christoph Graf Königsmarck, governor of the Swedish crown, 1651 on the Geestrücken at the Wesermarsch the construction of a post windmill. In 1692, the grandson of the count "destroyed" the mill to the former miller Hermann Meyer, who bought it in 1710. In 1761 it became the property of the Müller family Weidenhöfer, who built the present 29 m high Galerieholländer with two floors and a thatched tower instead of the Bockwindmühle. The family owned the mill until 1936 and leased it. In 1865, the carpenter Johann Schröder applied for the concession for a steam sawmill with two grinding operations. The concession contained the condition that he could only grind on one of the mills; for the extension of the grinding authority he had to pay 2 thalers into the Reichskasse. In 1910 the canvas on the wings was replaced by adjustable blinds, in 1912 a wind rose replaced the coder control. Later, the mill was equipped with an electric motor. Until 1965, the mill worked with three shot, one barley, one Grützgang and a roller mill. Since 1969 she has been a museum mill in the care of the association for the preservation of Achim windmill. The mill technology is available. Because of its scenic location and the uninterrupted view over the Wesermarsch, the mill is the landmark of Achim.Source: niedersaechsische-muehlenstrasse.de