Monument protected bridge at the Tegeler harbor, which spans with a length of 91 meters the mouth of the Tegeler flow and the harbor entrance. The name 'six-bridge' dates back to the early 20th century. At that time you paid a 'six', half a penny, bridge duty, if you wanted to stroll over the bridge.
The Tegeler Hafenbrücke in Berlin's Tegel district, popularly known as "Sechserbrücke", spans the entrance of the Tegeler Hafen and the mouth of the Tegeler Fließ as a pedestrian bridge. It was built in 1908 as a 91-meter-long steel truss arch bridge together with the harbor and the Tegel-Friedrichsfelder industrial railway; only in 1921 followed the southern gate with two ticket booths.
On the northern shore of the Tegeler lake developed at the end of the 19th century, a lively excursion traffic: people strolled on the quayside (today's Greenwich promenade) around the Great Malchsee around to the outdoor pool Tegelsee. However, they had to cross the Tegeler river. The resident fisherman Siebert earned an extra income by translating the Wanderer over the river with his boat for five pfennigs (a so-called "sixes"). At the turn of the century, excursion traffic continued to grow and more and more Berliners wanted to go to the Großer Malchsee, where numerous excursion restaurants had meanwhile established themselves, such as the Klippsteinsche summer establishment and the Kaiserpavillon. With his barge, the fisherman could no longer cope with the increased volume and so he built a small wooden bridge over the river and still demanded five pfennigs from anyone who wanted to cross it.
The Sechsling was first coined in 1388 by the city of Lübeck. With the recession of 1392, the Sechsling Vereinsmünze was issued in the Wendish Münzverein and, in addition to Lübeck, also by the cities of Hamburg, Lüneburg and Wismar. They were followed by other cities.
The term Sechsling for a 5 Pfennigmünze has been preserved from ancient times, when a penny was worth 12 pfennig and therefore half a size was also called six or six. The last Sechslinge shaped Hamburg in 1855.