Bike Touring Highlight
The Friedenswarte was built in 1974 and inaugurated on October 7th, 1974 on the 25th anniversary of the GDR. It is 32.5 m high (up to the top edge of the roof), the outer tower diameter is 8 m. The five glazed and five free viewing platforms can be reached via two separate spiral stairs for ascending and descending, each with 180 steps. From the top outer platform you have a wide panoramic view of the city of Brandenburg and the extensive forest and lake belt. With very good visibility, tall objects in Rathenow or Potsdam and the Hagelberg near Belzig can be seen.
The tower was completely renovated in 2006.
The Friedenswarte is the lookout tower on Marienberg.
The Brandenburg toy manufacturer Ernst Paul Lehmann initiated the construction of a Bismarckwarte on the Marienberg in the middle of a large urban park.
The plans for the control room came from Bruno Möhring. The foundation stone was laid on April 1, 1905, and exactly three years later, on April 1, 1908, the approximately thirty-meter-high tower was opened together with a newly designed southern entrance. On August 31, 1958, the Bismarckwarte was renamed the Friedenswarte by decision of the city council.
On March 22, 1974, the former Bismarckwarte, which had been closed for two years, was blown up and removed except for a plinth made of field stones. A new tower was then erected on the field stone base within six months. It was completed on the 25th anniversary of the founding of the GDR on October 7, 1974.
The tower has five glazed and five free viewing platforms. The height of the Friedenswarte is 32.50 m and has a diameter of 8 m. The ascent and descent is via two separate spiral staircases within the tower, each with 180 steps.
From the Friedenswarte you can enjoy a wonderful view of the layout of the three districts of the cathedral, old town and new town. The medieval buildings can be seen very well from here and in the sunshine it is possible to see tall objects up to a distance of 60 km.