The opera house was built as a "royal court theater" in the late Classicist style in the years 1845-52 on the eastern edge of the old town on the former windmill mountain from Wealdensandstein. This was a bastion, which was part of the Hanoverian city fortification, and was advanced to the present day Georgstraße. The architect of the opera house was the court architect Georg Ludwig Friedrich Laves. Site manager was his staff and later court architect Christian Heinrich Tramm. The first opera performance (Mozart's Marriage of Figaro) took place on 5 September 1852. The opera house replaced the castle theater in the Leineschloss, in which since 1689 opera performances took place. It was held in opera and theater performances.In 1918 it was renamed Opern- und Schauspielhaus and was in the hands of the Prussian state. In 1921 it was transferred to the sponsorship of the city of Hannover. The drama moved in 1925 in the municipalized "Schauburg" theater, both venues renamed henceforth as "City Theater Hanover".During the Second World War, the opera house was hit on 26 July 1943 in one of the Allied air raids on Hanover by incendiary bombs and burned down to the foundations.After the reconstruction in the historical style (according to the plans of the Hamburg architect Werner Kallmorgen), it was reopened on 30 November 1950 with the performance of Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier. 1950-1964 were followed by other extensions and additions, among other things, the foyer rooms were designed in the style of post-war modernism. In 1985, a modernization by the architect Dieter Oesterlen. The theater now has around 1,200 seats. After the Second World War, the financing share of the state of Lower Saxony was gradually increased at the now designated as "Landestheater Hannover" stages. In 1970 it was renamed "Lower Saxony State Theater Hannover", which is since 1992 in sole sponsorship of the state of Lower Saxony.Orchestra of the house is the Niedersächsische Staatsorchester Hannover.