The Protestant-Lutheran Kreuzkirche (Castle and City Church of St. Crucis) is the northwestern of the three Hanoverian Altstadtkirchen (the other two are Marktkirche and Aegidienkirche). It stands in Kreuzkirchenviertel in the old part of Hannover ....
... The Kreuzkirche dates back to 1284 divided by the Hanoverian market church parish. Their services were initially held in the church of the nearby Holy Spirit Hospital (at the northern mouth of Knochenhauerstraße and Schmiedestraße), which no longer exists today. The current building was consecrated in 1333 as Church of St. Spirit and Crucis in the form of a single-nave, Gothic, four-aisled hall church with cross vaults and einjochigem 5/8 choir.
In 1496/97 the St. Annenkapelle was added to the north side of the nave. While the church was built of natural stone, the chapel, with the same eaves height and steep saddle roof, made of brick in the so-called monastery format (about 8/13/28 cm). The east side of the St. Annenkapelle received a gothic stepped gable as a conclusion. Here is still a stone that shows a worn by two angels clover - a part of the Hanoverian coat of arms - shows. In addition to the main portal of the Kreuzkirche, striking stonemason brands can be seen at eye level as well as other brands and spoils on the south side of the tower.
1560 took place, in order to cover an increased space requirement, a drastic conversion of the church. Between the windows of the north wall heavy pillars were walled up and the north wall was broken through to the chapel. Thus, in the basement of the chapel, the sacristy with the well-known library as well as a new aisle with the gallery for the student choir had been created. In 1591 a false ceiling had already been built into the chapel and a round staircase tower had been erected on the east side. This was an urgent need for the new Lutheran liturgy.
Further information is available here: