On a small hill in the city center of Halberstadt stands the impressive majestic Gothic cathedral. This place of work of the Halberstadt bishops is one of the most dominant buildings of the city and was built from 1236 to 1491 in several stages. The church replaced gradually following the construction process a consecrated in 992 Romanesque predecessor, which in turn was built on the site of a bishop's church from the Carolingian period. The Romanesque baptismal font, the colorful stained glass windows and the St. Mary's Chapel in the east of the church are especially worth seeing in the cathedral dedicated to St. Stephen.
Another attraction is the extensive cathedral treasure. This unique church treasure consists of numerous late antique and medieval treasures. It contains u.a. magnificent liturgical vestments, altarpieces, pieces of furniture, sculptures, bronze sculptures and works of art from the workshops of the goldsmith. Many of the exhibits are by Byzantine and Islamic artists. A special feature are the three tapestries from the Romanesque period. Further attractions include a consul diptych from the year 417 as well as a holy bread dish from the Byzantine capital Constantinople.
As part of a guided tour, but also individually, you can visit the cathedral and cathedral treasury. The cathedral opens its doors every day except on the Mondays of the winter season. The church is also a station on the Way of St. James.
The most important piece of equipment is the monumental triumphal cross group that was created around 1210. The patron saint of the Halberstadt cathedral is enthroned on two pillars of the late Gothic rood screen: St. Stephen on the left, St. Sixtus on the right. Above the pillars is the Lettnerbühne, which was built in the cathedral at the beginning of the 16th century. It is so large that even a small orchestra or choir can play from there.
The masterpieces of textile art are world famous, such as the Abraham Engel carpet from around 1150. A once collapsible ivory writing tablet, a consular dipthychon from Ravenna from 416, is the oldest exhibit. The richly decorated Byzantine bread bowl from the 11th century is particularly magnificent.
The St. Stephen and St. Sixtus Cathedral in Halberstadt is one of the few large church buildings of the French cathedral scheme  in Germany. It is located in the midst of an ensemble of Romanesque, Baroque, Neo-Gothic and modern buildings on the edge of the historical core of the city in the northern Harz foreland, which was heavily destroyed in the Second World War. The cathedral was also badly damaged. It is owned by the Saxony-Anhalt Cultural Foundation.de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_zu_Halberstadt