On the highest point of the castle hill is the Hardenberg waiting tower with its inscription above the entrance:
C.L.A. Gr. H. MDCCCXXXXII
What Carl Ludwig August Count von Hardenberg 1842 means. This inscription preserves the memory of the builder and also provides information about the year of construction 1842.
In general, a waiting tower or watch tower was a mostly single standing, surrounded by ramparts and ditch observation tower called. In the late Middle Ages, for example, waiting towers were set up on trade routes as customs stations or in the run-up to cities in order to be able to warn enemy troops in good time by flag or light signals before they approached.
The Hardenberg tower, which was built in the Romantic era and served as a lookout tower over the Leinetal valley, served north and east.
The wreath, which was located on the top of the tower, fell victim to vandalism. At the beginning of the 80s of the 20th century, the waiting tower was closed for safety reasons.
(Source: information board in front of the tower)
This tower with the beautiful and wide view is already more than 120 years and enjoys monument protection. Unfortunately, the upper part of the tower has been badly damaged by hitherto unknown perpetrators. Platform and parapet of the gallery must be restored at considerable cost. Therefore, an ascent of the tower is not possible for the time being.