1101 for the first time a fortified plant above Nörtens was mentioned, which served as a point of overview for the intersecting traffic routes. It was established after completion of the Christianization of the eastern area by the Archdiocese of Mainz, which is why it is also called "Mainzer house".
In the 13th century, castle men were hired for protection and administration, to which in 1287 the castle was mortgaged. Among them were some members of those of Hardenberg in 1357, who still own the castle. 1403 divided by interfamily Erbverträge not only the family of Hardenberg in two camps, but also the castle complex in two residences or castles:
- The newer, northern part of the castle, the so-called front house.
- The first created castle part of 1100, the so-called Hinterhaus.
Many military sieges well into the 17th century burdens the building so heavily that in March 1698 large parts of the front building collapsed. The family of Hardenberg left the castle and began the construction of the present castle at the foot of the castle hill with the official name "Hardenberg front house", in which she moved in 1710. In 1720, the people who lived in the Hinterhaus also left their homes.
Around 1840, many redevelopment efforts were undertaken, in the style of neo-Romanticism also the drawbridge, the entrance gate and a new tower were built. He is now considered the landmark of the castle. Since 1962, further fortifications are constantly being carried out to preserve the castle as a memorial to future generations.
(Source: info box at the castle entrance)