The Evangelical Lutheran parish church of St. Jacobi in the old town of Göttingen is a built between 1361 and 1433 three-nave Gothic hall church. The patron saint is James the Elder. The tower of the church is with its 72 meters height the tallest building of the old part of Göttingen. The Gothic winged altar from 1402, which is located in the choir of the church, is of supra-regional importance.
St. Jacobi is one of the four inner-city churches seen from the Four-Church view.
June 8, 2017
The St. Jacobi Church in Göttingen's pedestrian zone is an open city church that radiates far beyond the boundaries of the municipal district and the city.
1. Thanks to many volunteers, it is open every day of the year. Every year, about 75,000 people visit the open church to find silence, to pray or to discover the impressive gothic building and its works of art (including the largest alteration altar of southern Lower Saxony from 1402, Johannes Schreiter's window cycle of 1997/98).
2. The St. Jacobi Church is an attractive place for musically and liturgically demanding worship services.
3. With about 100 concerts per year (weekly organ music on Friday evening, midday music on Saturday, major chamber, choir and organ concerts), St. Jacobi is an outstanding place for culture in Göttingen.
4. With two thematic series of lectures per year and exhibitions on historical-social topics and art exhibitions, the St. Jacobi community enriches the cultural and educational landscape of the city.
5. St. Jacobi bears the seal "Diakonische Gemeinde" of the Hannoversche Landeskirche and has been supporting a school work aid for migrant children for over 30 years.
6. St. Jacobi maintains a partnership with the parish of Mlalo / Tanzania. In the vicinity of Göttingen, honorary members of the community maintain a meadow orchard in accordance with ecological standards, which was awarded the title of the most beautiful orchard in Lower Saxony in 2014 by the BUND Landesverband Niedersachsen.Municipal office: Sonja Schlesinger, Jacobikirchhof 2, 37073 Göttingen,
Tel. (0551) 5 75 96
September 26, 2018