Bike Touring Highlight
The architecture of the harbor office is characterized by Low German styles in reference to the Dutch architecture of the 17th century. With the Old Port Authority, the builder architecturally transformed the connection between the city of Dortmund and the North Sea coast. Thus, the old harbor office is one of the attractions in Dortmund, which should pay a visit. The structural details make the old office again and again a sought-after photo opportunity - not for weddings. Because marry, you can in this landmark in the wedding room on the third floor. Here can accommodate a maximum of 14 people.
Those who have found their way to the Old Port Authority, definitely worth a refreshment break on the nearby catering ship "Mr. Walter" (komoot.de/highlight/171984), which receives not only on and below deck guests but also on the affectionately designed by Oliver Buschmann and his team "harbor beach".
For the inauguration of the port of Dortmund on August 11, 1899 by Emperor Wilhelm II, the Old Port Authority was established in the harbor. Designed by city architect Friedrich Kullrich a two-storey building was built with large front tower on a hexagonal plan, reminiscent of a lighthouse not accidental. This association is reinforced by the outer shape of the tower core. In the tower one furnished a "imperial room", whose outer balustrade shows the coat of arms of the cities of Dortmund and Emden carried by dolphins.
The originally mounted as Turmbekrönung iron grid construction has been removed due to decay in 1930 and in 1986 replaced by a reconstruction of galvanized steel, after the inside of the building had been prepared from 1982 to 1983 again. The ball on the spire is to be understood as a time ball, the top serves as a flagpole. In 1986, in addition to the tower corrugation and the entire exterior was restored.
Until 1962 the Old Port Authority was the seat of the Dortmunder Hafen AG. The building will be used by the Water Police in 2007 and for a harbor and shipping exhibition.
The Old Port Authority is located on the Sunderweg in the transition to Kanalstraße. The central location in the center of the canal harbor is further emphasized by the fact that the bridge over the city port tapers directly to the tower and the road veering just before the building to the west. Due to the increased building site, the building illuminated at night is visible from afar.
The Old Port Authority, whose demolition was planned in the 1950s, is now one of the landmarks of the city and Dortmund North as well as the Port of Dortmund part of the Route of Industrial Heritage.
The Old Port Authority Dortmund was built in 1898 in the style of the neo-Renaissance in the newly founded port of Dortmund to plans by the architect and city construction inspector Friedrich Kullrich. As a port administration, the building was used until the year 1962. From 1982 to 1987 it was extensively restored and is today one of the few public houses in Dortmund from the Wilhelminian era.
The landmark, with its 38-meter-high tower, visible from afar, houses a mosaic floor in its corridor, depicting a medieval coffin with hoisted sails. On the sail is the Dortmund Eagle and at the top of the mast blows the red and white pennant of the city. A portal framed by three-quarter columns ends in a chiselled Neptune pot. Above the cornice, a commemorative plaque of granite in a bronze relief contains the portrait of Wilhelm II, reminiscent of the visit of the German Emperor on August 11, 1899. Under the parapet of the tower room, worn by dolphins, are the emblems of the cities of Emden and Dortmund.
Today, in the listed building, there are rooms of the water police and the imperial rooms, which were preserved with the original equipment.
The Old Port Authority is listed as an architectural monument in the list of monuments of the city of Dortmund and part of the Route of Industrial Heritage.