The coal mine Herberholz is an ideal resting place directly in the Muttental. Over coffee and cake, delicious grilled meat, tarte flambée or a snack and a cool drink, they fortify themselves for their next stage.
In the house itself is a small exhibition with collection pieces and illustrations of the historic mining can be seen.
In the immediate vicinity of the colliery is the miners' prayer house. Not far away you will find the castle Steinhausen, the equestrian center Frielinghaus, the castle ruins Hardenstein, the colliery Nachtigall and the mine and field railway museum colliery Theresia. In the midst of the mother valley, the colliery Herberholz was built in the years 1855/56.
By consolidating existing stollen operations, the pit fields below the St. Johannes Erbstollen were to be dismantled. The colliery was named after the ascendant Herberholz, who forced the merger.
The merger of individual tiller pits and the transition to civil engineering has taken a decisive step, which should also be of great importance for industrial development.
The mined coal from the Herberholz coal mine was brought to light via the "Elisabeth" shaft of the "Louisenglück" colliery. The production amounted to about 500,000 bushels (29,000 tons) of coal per year. The mansion on Herberholz was used for ventilation and for the plant.
The outdoor exhibition is freely accessible throughout the year. ADMISSION FREE!"
Further information & source: muttental-zechenhaus-herberholz.de/wir-ueber-uns/index.html
The brick building was built around 1875 and was an operating building of the coal mine Louisenglück and Herberholz.
Today it serves as a clubhouse of the Mining Historic Sites Ruhr district and houses a small mining history exhibition. Guided tours around the old colliery area are available on request.