Bike Touring Highlight
The Altenberg Cathedral, often called the "Bergische Dom", is the church of the former Cistercian Abbey Altenberg (1133-1803) and today the parish church of the Catholic Parish of St. Maria Himmelfahrt, Altenberg. The church became after French models 1259-1379
built as a towerless transept basilica with ambulatory and chapel wreath. After a fire in 1815, reconstruction took place from 1833 to 1847.
Since 1857, the Altenberg Cathedral has been shared by Protestant Christians at the request of the Prussian king. Extensive renovations of the cathedral were completed in 2006. Altenberg is a district of Odenthal, between Bergisch Gladbach and Leverkusen, North Rhine-Westphalia, and is located about 20 km northeast of Cologne on the Dhünn, a tributary of the Wupper.
The Altenberg Cathedral is one of the most beautiful Gothic churches in Germany. Of special art historical importance are the Madonna in the Radiant Wreath and the Sacrament House. Special attention deserves the large west window: It represents the heavenly Jerusalem and is with its 144 square meters the largest church window north of the Alps. The long history of the monastery, the dukes and counts of the noble family also testifies to numerous high graves and grave slabs of the secular and spiritual princes inside the church.