The castle was built as a Romanesque complex at the beginning of the 13th century. The Berfried was built in the middle of the 13th century. The castle chapel was built around 1500. The interior was completely redesigned at the beginning of the 18th century. In the years 1994-2004 the castle was restored. It now houses a museum. A recommendable visit.