Bike Touring Highlight
Equipped with love locks
At the same place in 1859, the double-track cathedral bridge was built, which at the beginning of the 20th century was no longer adequate for the growth of traffic. The planning work for the new building was begun under the President of the Railway Directorate Cologne, Paul von Breitenbach and handed over in 1906 to his successor Rudolf Schmidt. The line was in the hands of the railway engineer Fritz Beermann under whose direction Friedrich Dircksen worked out the designs. The construction of the Hohenzollern Bridge then took place from 1907 to 1911 under significant participation of the MAN Gustavsburg plant. It was inaugurated on May 22, 1911 by Kaiser Wilhelm II.
The bridge consisted of three adjacent bridge sections, each with three iron truss arches (passage openings) in the longitudinal direction for receiving four railway tracks and a road. Although the location of the bridge and the station were in principle already disputed in the previous buildings, the Hohenzollern Bridge took over the alignment of the cathedral bridge on the central axis of the cathedral.
The Hohenzollern Bridge was built from 1907 to 1911. It replaced the cathedral bridge, which was no longer able to meet the demands of ever-increasing rail traffic. The special feature of the construction of the new bridge was that it was built under continuous operation of the cathedral bridge and replaced it gradually. After completion, it consisted of three adjacent truss arch bridges with three arches each.
One part was reserved at this time, as well as at the cathedral bridge, the street and streetcar traffic, while the other two parts could accommodate four tracks. In addition, there were walking and biking trails on both sides.
The Hohenzollern Bridge is the only bridge in Cologne that has not been destroyed by bombs. Rather, it took over the Wehrmacht on March 6, 1945 itself to complicate the approaching Allies by blowing up the bridge, a crossing of the Rhine. After the war, one of the railway bridges was rebuilt until 1948. The road bridge was not restored for traffic reasons. In the years 1956 to 1959 and from 1986 to 1987, a further half-timbered arch was added, so that today the railway has six tracks on the Hohenzollern Bridge. The two northern tracks are reserved for the S-Bahn. At the Hohenzollernbrücke there are walking and cycling paths on both sides, which are maintained and cared for by us, while the bridge itself, like the south bridge, is owned by Deutsche Bahn AG.
The Hohenzollern Bridge, with its neighboring central station, is one of the most important junctions in the German and European railway network and is an impressive building that is an outstanding part of the cityscape of Cologne.