The original Sterntor in Bonn was built around 1244 at the end of the Sternstraße and was part of the medieval city fortification.
In 1898, the last remaining Torburg the former city fortification gate was demolished despite intervention by Kaiser Wilhelm II, in order to make the flow of traffic better. (Coordinates: 50 ° 44 '8,8 "N, 7 ° 5' 54,1" O - old location) Only two years later - 1900 - was a few meters offset a replacement structure under the same name on the north side of Bottlerplatz or on created the Vivatsgasse. It consists only partially of the remains of the former Sterntors, otherwise from remains of the city wall and an old half-tower. The corner tower and the surrounding crenellated wreath assign it to the historicism of the time. It is listed as an architectural monument, the barrel vault from the 17th century is designated as Bodendenkmal.
Two portraits are inserted in the outer archway, the Crucified with Mary and John and the "Our Lady of Seven Sorrows" from 1650.
In 2002, the "Lichtblicke" installation by the light artist Regine Vogel / Johannes Dinnebier of the Center for International Light Art took place at Sterntor.
The stargate on the edge of the Bottlerplatz reminds of the medieval city fortifications.It consists of remnants of the old city wall of Bonn and gives the viewer a glimpse of how powerful the city fortification must have been in the Middle Ages. The original 13th century Stargate was located a few meters from its current location. In 1898 it was demolished to make room for the increasing traffic in the city. Today's Sterntor has thus "moved" to its new location and consists partly of remains of the original.