Bike Touring Highlight
Popular with residents and visitors: Green oasis in the heart of the cityThe castle garden is equally popular with visitors and residents of Fulda and forms a green oasis in the middle of the city. The extensive castle garden enclosed by walls and bars is composed of several parts: the Palace and Orangerie terraces, the intervening ground floor with the large Fontaine fountain and the former Boskett garden extending to the east.Baroque garden room designed by Maximilian von WelschThe history of the castle garden goes back to the early 18th century. In 1715, Prince Constantine von Buttlar leveled the old zoo, which was located in the same spot, in order to have a baroque garden with an orangery set up to match his new residence. The Waidesbach, which flows through the park, was taken in an underground channel and created the baroque palace garden after the transformation plans of Maximilian von Welsch. Welsch had the axles between the castle and the orangery laid out and the side wall opened by a gate. Fountains, grottos and water basins as well as stone garden sculptures - among them the famous Floravase on the outside staircase to the orangery - completed the baroque garden space.Elaborate planting of the Baroque flowerbeds in seasonal changeIn the 19th century, the eastern Boskettgarten was transformed into a landscaped park on the English model and planted the ground floor with oaks, lime trees and chestnuts. In 1994, the first Hessian State Garden Show in Fulda took place, among other things, on the grounds of the Schlossgarten. On this occasion, the baroque part of the castle garden was newly created, without renouncing the old trees. With great attention to detail and a keen sense of the historic environment, the gardeners in the seasonal change provide for the planting of the baroque flower beds - a feast for the eyes of strollers and flower lovers alike.
Source: Tourism Fulda
The castle park in Fulda is a beautiful baroque garden, which is planted with many blooming flowers depending on the season. In one part of the park there is also a romantic English garden.The Orangerie is a magnificent building standing in the middle of the park. It is used today as a venue. The orangery also has a café with a terrace. From there you have a beautiful view of the castle park.
The Fulda orangery was created from 1721. In the summer, the buildings were used by the prince-bishops as event rooms, during the winter months the numerous ornamental trees from southern climes, especially the lemon and orange trees symbolizing power and eternity, overwintered here. For this purpose, the trees were excavated with the entire rhizome and thus housed in the winter garden.