Route Planner

Ehemalige Mato-Fabrik

Bike Touring Highlight

Created by komoot users
Recommended by 32 out of 44 cyclists


  • Les Guilvinistes

    In the years 1922/23 the celluloid plant Ludwig Schmetzer AG had built a factory complex at the intersection Bieberer Straße and Industriebahn. However, only the first phase of construction with a residential and administrative building was realized. In the gatehouse, above the passage, was the so-called sample room, where the products were exhibited and customers were received. In the late 1920s, in the Great Depression, the company Curt Matthaei (brand name: Mato) acquired the factory and produced here metal hooks and transmission belts. The production of conveying and transport equipment, mechanical apparatus and grease guns was added later.
    In 1988 Matthaei moved to Mühlheim-Dietesheim. The buildings were empty. In 1994, a number of visual artists discovered the area for themselves, who set up their studios in the former factory, thus laying the foundations for the creation of an artists' colony. The studios and, later, the Art Space Mato Gallery existed until the end of 2013. At that time, the owners sold the property to an investor who began building residential buildings on the former industrial site in 2016.
    The gate building was acquired by an entrepreneur from Offenbach, who wants to preserve a piece of Offenbach's industrial history from demolition and wants to commemorate its preservation to the former factory on the site.

    translated byView Original
  • Elevation160 m