The residence of the Frankenstein noble family has a history of more than 900 years. Until the late 16th century, the Frankensteins were a respected and wealthy princely family, as you can still tell by the size of the castle today. With the strengthening of the Kurhessichen princes, however, they lost influence and sold their castle in 1662 to the Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt. Since this was only interested in the lands, he degenerated the very well-kept castle. The castle was used again and again as a quarry for newly emerging buildings and only in the 19th century, the plant was partially repaired. Grand Duke Ludwig III. let the castle rebuild in the style of the castle romanticism. The present appearance dates from this time and reminds only in parts of the original form of the castle. The mighty ramparts and towers still give a nice picture of medieval castles, and after a visit the castle's own restaurant attracts.
The Frankenstein Castle is located southeast of the Darmstadt district Eberstadt on district of the community Mühltal and is the northernmost of a series of castles and castle ruins on the western edge of the Odenwaldes overlooking the Rhine valley. Small kiosk on the castle available.
Frankenstein castle 🏰 (German: Burg Frankenstein) is a medieval hilltop castle in the Odenwald overlooking the city of Darmstadt in Germany. It is alleged that this castle may have been an inspiration for Mary Shelley when she wrote her 1818 Gothic novel Frankenstein. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein_Castle
"Frankenstein Castle stands on a 370-meter-high spur of the Langenberg, first mentioned in a document of Conrad II in 1252 by Breuberg and his wife Elisabeth von Weiterstadt." From the wording of the document "super castro in frangenstein" ( "Castle on the Frankenstein"), however, it is clear that the castle was already built and used at that time, but the exact time of its construction is uncertain, assuming that it dates back to Franconian times, most historians believe it was built around 1240 . " (Wikipedia)
So much should not be scared of the name, Mary Shelley's eponymous novel is from 1818.
Castle ruins above Eberstadt. In autumn there is probably a well-known Halloween spectacle. In the small chapel it is possible to get married - this is indicated by the interior and the registration plate. Since Mary Shelley was once on a trip here in the area, there are suspicions that she may have been inspired by the castle for her novel. I think the castle restaurant is an absolute building sin!