Mountain Biking Highlight
The first Ireneturm was built in 1890 and was 23 meters high. The tower is named after Princess Irene of Prussia, the daughter of Grand Duke Ludwig IV of Hesse-Darmstadt. The first tower lasted only a few years and therefore had to be replaced by a new tower.
The new Ireneturm was built in 1910 and is 27 meters high. It is one of the landmarks of the Überwald region. For the 100th anniversary of the tower in 2010, the property was transferred to the community Rimbach.
Since 2 May 2013, the observation tower is closed for security reasons. It consists mainly of softwood elements damaged by bark beetle and rot.
Ireneturm on the drom
The mountain ridge of the Tromm separates the Weschnitztal and the Ulfenbachtal. It forms the eastern end of the Weschnitztal and extends in a north-south direction from Hammelbach to Kreidach. At 577 meters, the Tromm is the sixth highest peak in the Odenwald. The ridge is popular in summer as in winter as a destination. Numerous hiking trails and an art trail open up the area for pedestrians. From Ulfenbachtal the tromm and the village of the same name can be reached by car and bus.
The 27 meter high Ireneturm was built in 1910 as a lookout tower on the Tromm. The wooden tower is named after Princess Irene von Darmstadt and is a landmark in the Überwald region. Since 2013, however, the Ireneturm is in the hands of the bark beetle and closed to visitors.