1094 the monastery Gottesaue was founded.
In 1525, the monastery was looted and destroyed. Between 1588 and 1594 margrave Ernst Friedrich of Baden-Durlach had a pleasure house and hunting lodge built by Johannes Schoch and Paul Murer.
In 1698, the palace was destroyed in the Palatinate War of Succession and rebuilt lower.
In 1735 it was again devastated by a fire, after a renewed fire in 1740 it was redesigned and used as a manor. In 1818 it became a barracks, in 1919 tenements, in 1935 briefly a police academy, in 1936 a barracks. On July 7, 1944, it was destroyed again, a part of the ruin then blown up due to collapse danger.
In 1977 the reconstruction began, largely in the original style, with visible inclusion of preserved wall remains and new worth seeing steel roof structure. The state of Baden-Württemberg contributed 45 million DM. The city called an ideas competition for the environment of the castle. During the construction work in May 1985, at about 1.20 meters depth, the torso of two well-preserved sandstone figures was found. Reconstructing the idea of the Renaissance, they combined old with new and integrated a telephone, a Coke bottle and a space shuttle.
In 1989, the conservatory moved in. In the aftermath of the cavalry house Fuchsbau, Marstall and other outbuildings were prepared for use by the university.(Source: ka.stadtwiki.net)