The Ettal Monastery is a Benedictine Abbey (Abbey of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary) in the village of Ettal in Upper Bavaria and belongs to the Bavarian Benedictine Congregation.
The abbey is located about ten kilometers north of Garmisch-Partenkirchen and southeast of Oberammergau. The Benedictine monastery founded in 1330 is today a popular tourist attraction. The monastery includes farms, several inns, a hotel and a high school with attached boarding school. In addition, an art publisher, a distillery and a brewery.
The central building was at its time of origin, the High Gothic, structurally very unusual. The baroque transformation after the fire did not change that much. The original Gothic building is a dodecagon 25.3 meters in diameter, which surrounds a double-storey cloister.
Behind a monastery courtyard opens the first completed 1894 to 1901, convex rounded facade of the church. Its seven axes, on which Zuccali's Baroque dome rises, are framed by pillars. The triaxial flanks have concave curves. They are crowned by two different towers, of which the northern was completed in 1853/1854, the southern only in 1906/1907. South of the dome is a bell tower from 1563.
The monastery buildings of the 18th century were largely removed. Most of the buildings in the current complex date from the 20th century. The interior of the rotunda looks very bright and colorful. It is structured by pilaster bundles. Everything flows into the huge dome fresco Zeillers from the year 1746. It shows over a sea of clouds the rapture and coronation of the hl. Benedict before the throne of the triune God. Above the chancel arch, a depiction shows the scene that was supposed to have led to the founding of the monastery: St. Benedict appears to Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian and gives him the image of Mary.This white marble statue is located in the tabernacle of the high altar. The altar painting by Martin Knoller depicts the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, as well as Knoller's painting above the high altar (1786). In the nave six altars by Johann Baptist Straub are arranged into two groups, the middle altar is decorated in each case particularly rich. The paintings are by Knoller (3), Scheffler, Zeiller and Hermann.