The summit cross on the 2,049 m high Kufstein on the edge of the Dachstein plateau can look back on a varied history.
Originally it was built 80 years ago by the Catholic fraternity Schladming on the sheikh top. Ultimately, it was not allowed to find its place there and so the material that already stored at the Guttenberghaus was carried "out" onto the Kufstein.
There it was erected by the "Sonnberger Buam" and solemnly consecrated on September 14, 1930 by Prof. johann Dinawitzer. Today, the cross erected by Ramsauern in 1931 on the Sheikh peak and the Kufstein as common Christian signs of both denominations and the glory of God in the valley and connect people who have their home at the foot of the Dachstein mountains.
The first summit cross, destroyed in 1969 by lightning and storm, was rebuilt a year later by the Alpine Club Youth House.