The Käfigturm is a city gate in the form of a tower at the top of Marktgasse in the old town of Bern and was part of the old fortification. The tower, built from 1641 to 1644, replaced a dilapidated predecessor built in 1256. Over the centuries, the building served as a defense tower, guard tower, later as a prison tower, state archive and information center. Currently it serves as a venue for exhibitions and events on political topics.
locationThe cage tower is located in the western part of the old town of Bern. From the gate in an easterly direction one passes over the market lane and past the Anna Seiler fountain to the other city gate, the Zytglogge (time bell). In the west of the cage tower, the pedestrian zone Spitalgasse leads in the direction of the station. At the crossroads on the west side of the gate is the busy Bärenplatz. Buses and trams from west to east pass through the arch of the cage tower; in the opposite direction they drive past the gate on the northern end. In the second arch on the west side, which serves pedestrian traffic, there is also the entrance to the information center. The address of the city gate is Marktgasse 67.