The Landesfürstliche Burg is a building complex built around 1470 by Duke Sigmund of Austria-Tyrol, located in the heart of the city of Merano (Burgraviato, South Tyrol), and served as a city residence. Emperor Maximilian has been here several times.The building group resembles more an artfully designed solid house with weak enclosure than a fully developed castle complex. By some experts of the castle research the plant is even considered only as early Ansitz, although the sovereign castle was the seat of the high nobility Tyrolean sovereign, his local rural and city judge and the so-called Kellenamt with the "waiter to Meran" (steward, tax collector). In the 16th century, the original building was redesigned. Inside there are high-quality wood-paneled parlors and the interior from the late Middle Ages. Also some weapons such as lances and halberds have been preserved or were collected.The planned demolition of the castle in the late 19th century was successfully prevented by David von Schönherr thanks to a broad-based initiative.Today, the museum is a princely castle owned by the municipality of Meran and open to the public. It is also used for civil marriage ceremonies.Source: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landesfürstliche_Burg
The castle was already mentioned in 1258 with a Conrad von Katzenstein as the ancestral seat of the lords of Katzenstein and in 1285 Conrad was mentioned as the owner of the farm on the stone. In 1347 the brothers Diepold and Rudolf von Katzenstein jointly owned the castle. 1355 Diepold Council of the Margrave Ludwig of Brandenburg, the husband of Margarethe Maultasch and 1361 Diepold and Rudolf von Katzenstein are important figures on the side of Meinhard III. After the genus of Katzenstein had died out in the male line in 1450, numerous liens appeared at the castle.