On July 31, 1878, the municipal council of Winkel received a message from the Inspector of Post and Telegraph that the village was suitable for the placement of a post and telegraph office. Under the condition that De Winkel could guarantee a turnover of NLG 600, the municipality received a building permit in February 1879 on behalf of the Ministry of Water Management, Trade and Industry. In the tender, contractor Jan Rezelman submitted the lowest bid for a sum of NLG 8,729. Construction started later in 1879.
In the month of April of 1880, the construction of the office was completed. The property was delivered three months late, for which the contractor was fined NLG 100 to compensate for the missed rental income. The opening was celebrated on April 15, with a festive dinner. Originally, the office did not have a plastered facade. The plaster was applied in 1906 to combat the moisture that the one-brick wall suffered from.
Until 1971, the building served as a post and telegraph office. After this, the building came into the possession of the Building and Housing Supervision department of the municipality of Niedorp until 1996. Since 1996, the former office has been a residence.