Senior Backend Engineer
Millions of people experience real-life adventures with our apps. We help people all over the world discover the best hiking and biking routes, empowering our users to explore more of the great outdoors. And we’re good at it: Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times—and, with more than 20 million users and 100,000 five-star reviews - komoot is on its way to become one of the most popular cycling and hiking platforms. Join our fully remote team of 70 people and change the way people explore!
Ready for your next adventure?
What you will do
- Implement new product features closely with client developers, designers, copy writers, quality assurance, data scientists and product managers
- Keep our system state-of-the-art and resilient for our fast growing traffic
- Develop end-to-end solutions including concept, road map planning, implementation, testing, deployment and monitoring
- Build new micro-services with Kotlin and AWS, and improve existing ones
- Work on high-traffic online services (like REST APIs) and offline workers for data crunching
Why you will love it
- You’ll work on a global product that inspires millions of users to enjoy the great outdoors
- Positively impact millions of users directly with your onboarding project
- Due to the nature of our data and our scale, you will face interesting challenges that take innovative, non-standard solutions
- We believe good ideas count more than titles
- You’ll take ownership over your projects from day one
- Small overhead: you will work in a small and effective cross-functional team
- You’ll work together with enthusiastic engineers, hikers and cyclists.
- We let you work from wherever you want, be it a beach, the mountains, your house, co - working location of your choice (covered by us) or anywhere else that lies in any time zone situated between UTC-1 and UTC+3
- You’ll travel with our team to amazing outdoor places several times a year (when safe) to exchange ideas, learnings and go for hikes and rides. Check out this playlist (https://bit.ly/39xtIrn) to find out more about how we stay close while being remote.
You will be successful in this position if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible and keen to learn and improve
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in developing distributed and resilient backend APIs
- Have 3+ years of professional experience with Kotlin, Java or Scala
- You have been responsible for configuring and running applications in production on AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure or Kubernetes
- Have experience with Infrastructure as Code, continuous integration & deployment and monitoring
- Enjoy paying attention to details and care about solid solutions
- Are a great communicator in a diverse team
Sound like you?
We want to hear from you! Please send us the following:
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience
- A write-up explaining who you are and why you are interested in working at komoot
- Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your account on GitHub, Twitter, Instagram, Medium or your blog.
Change the Way People Explore
Everybody at komoot is working towards this vision and we design our company to put as little as possible between you and bringing this vision to life.
Create With Purpose
Today, millions of people explore nature with our apps. Their experiences are what drives us and makes us smile everyday.
Work Wherever You Thrive
Our headquarter is located in Potsdam at a lake, but our team works all over Europe. Bavarian mountains? Canary Islands? A little house at a lake? Booming Berlin?
Work With People You Actually Want To Work WithWorking At Komoot