The Bedlington Railway Viaduct, also known as the Black Bridge or Kittybrewster Viaduct, was initially built by the Bedlington Coal Company in 1850 as a timber trestle bridge. Designed by Robert Nicholson, it stood 80 feet high and 770 feet long, connecting Bebside and Bedlington. The bridge was constructed to support coal transportation from the local mines, as part of a line from Newsham to Bedlington. The Blyth and Tyne Railway purchased the line in 1855 and extended it to Morpeth.