History
Before it was converted into a castle, there was probably an economic farm belonging to the Bishop of Paderborn on the same site in the late 8th or early 9th century, which was managed by a mayor. The conversion into a moated castle probably took place when the noblemen of Lippe took over the rule around 1200, but at the latest when the town of Detmold was founded by Bernhard III in 1263. The walls of the current castle tower date from this time, while parts of the south and west wings were built in the 14th century. The castle was first mentioned in documents in 1366, at which time Count Simon III occasionally resided in Detmold. His successors also temporarily left their ancestral seat in Lippstadt to live in the castles of Blomberg, Brake near Lemgo and Detmold, which were built after or around 1200 in the area of today's Lippe district. During the Soest Feud in 1447, the Archbishop of Cologne had the castle and town of Detmold plundered and destroyed by Bohemian mercenaries. Afterwards, the castle and town were expanded into a strong fortress by Bernhard VII of Lippe and fortified with a mighty rampart. In 1468, Count Bernhard VII chose Detmold as his permanent residence. In 1549, his successor, Bernhard VIII, called the master builder Jörg Unkair to Detmold, who had made a name for himself with various Renaissance buildings in the Weser region. When building Neuhaus Castle near Paderborn, he had created a four-winged structure and now transferred this concept to Detmold Castle. His typical signature can be recognized in two gables on the front and the two front stair towers. Unkair died in 1553 and his work was continued by the Flemish Johann Robyn (also: Jaspero Robijn) with the construction of the Renaissance gallery in the castle courtyard. Master builder Cord Tönnis completed the new building with the construction of the gate wing.
Minor renovations were carried out at the beginning of the 17th century. The kitchen portal was built around 1620 and in 1673 Count Simon Heinrich had the rear wing expanded - thus the entire complex was completed in its current size. Under Count Friedrich Adolf, the two long wings were rebuilt in 1715 and the interior was changed in accordance with the Baroque style. The rooms were given ceilings and walls decorated with stucco, paintings and tapestries. Despite some renovation work in the 18th and 19th centuries, the overall appearance of the castle has retained its early 18th century appearance to this day.