The cave is named after Father Jean-Gabriel Brizet, who was born in Bitche on August 17, 1747. He was ordained a priest on September 18, 1773.
To avoid being arrested in 1797, he went underground. He found refuge in a cave that was difficult to access to say mass and administer some sacraments.
He died on January 21, 1814. The cave had become a place of pilgrimage that had fallen into oblivion and was restored during the bicentenary of the church of Lengelsheim in May 2004.