The water tower on the Funkerberg was built between 1910 and 1912 as a tower with a viewing platform at a height of 33 metres. For that time, it represented an architectural feature for this area and developed into a tourist destination. After 1945 the water tower was operated by the VEB (K) Stadtwerke Königs Wusterhausen. Due to lack of maintenance and hygienic deficiencies, the tower ceased operations as a water supplier in 1965. A lack of financial resources and a lack of interest on the part of the city management at the time led to a slow but steady deterioration of the building. In 1980, also at the urging of committed citizens of the city, it was placed on the list of district monuments. Further destruction of the tower could thus be prevented. Until 1989 the tower was not open to the public. Financial resources were only made available in 1990. The tower was renovated with funds from the state, the district and the city of Königs Wusterhausen as well as the monument protection authority. Since 1991 it has housed a restaurant, a gallery and a viewing platform open to the public, which can be reached by climbing a spiral staircase with 110 steps.
The "tower blowing" that takes place on Christmas Eve has become a tradition, in which classic Christmas carols are played from the tower by the trombone choir of the Kreuzkirche in Königs Wusterhausen. Every year from 10 p.m., many listeners from the city, but also from the surrounding area and Berlin, enjoy the approximately one-hour event