Bike Touring Highlight
Since the old Cologne Botanical Garden on the cathedral for the construction of the main station had to give way, in 1862 with the planning of a new botanical garden in Riehl began. The owner of the garden was founded in 1863 by citizens of Cologne, including Eduard von Oppenheim and Adolph Rautenstrauch, to create a botanical ornamental and pleasure garden. Empress Augusta took over the patronage.
The now established "Flora AG" acquired for a price of 22,130 thalers located between the former villages Riehl and Nippes, belonging to the mayor Longerich "Pilgramsche" plot with a base of 5.6 hectares. The area was adjacent to the 1860 opened Cologne Zoo, since Riehl established itself as a recreational area for the Cologne urban population, for which the name "De jolde Spetz" (the golden point) einbürgerte.
For the overall design of the Flora was born in Bonn, then already 73 -year-old Prussian Royal Director General Director Peter Joseph Lenné. He created a plan in which he further developed the so-called "mixed German style" of garden art into a unified picture in the spirit of the then highly modern historicism. 
Lenné combined the typical garden art of European countries into a historicist work of art: the ground floor between the main entrance and the palm house is inspired by the French baroque garden, the five-level water cascade with the parallel arcades follows the example of the Italian Renaissance garden. The other system is modeled in the style of an English landscape park. The plan was implemented by Lenné student Julius Niepraschk, who until 1890 was also the first garden director of the Cologne Flora
July 3, 2015
Next to the Cologne Zoo is the Flora, the urban botanical garden. With its more than 10,000 partly exotic plant species and its beautifully landscaped parks, the flora invites you to stroll and relax as a green oasis in the big city tangle. Since 2008, the park also houses the first palm avenue in Germany.
April 20, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!