Bike Touring Highlight
magicoveneto.it/Padovano/Vigodarzere/Certosa-di-Vigodarzere.htm"Cartusia Paduae Sancti Hieronimi et Sancti Bernardi" is the fifteenth-century monastic building which, during the vicissitudes linked to the war against the League of Cambrai, was located near the present-day Codalunga avenue along the esplanade of the walls of Padua, built specially by the Venetians for defend yourself from the terrible bombards of Maximilian of Austria.
The building was razed to the ground and the stones used for the construction of the walls themselves.
At the end of the furious wave of war, the Carthusian order decided to build a new prestigious monastery.
The choice came naturally along the banks of the Brenta, easily reachable by boat from Venice, on the lands inherited from the order by the Bishop of Padua.
Work began in 1534, led by architect Andrea Moroni, director of the infinite works at the Benedictine Basilica of Santa Giustina. They continued for about thirty years, led by Andrea Da Valle after Moroni's death (1560).
The Carthusian monks settled in 1560, but they were always in very small numbers compared to the logistic potential of the structure. The Charterhouse never played a leading role in the Venetian religious scenario. In 1768, due to a decree of the Republic, like all monasteries with less than twelve monks was suppressed and the assets confiscated by the Serenissima.
Thus began the slow and inexorable decline that saw the imposing structure ceded to private individuals.
Parts of the main building were adapted to the country residence of the Marquis Zugno, owners from 1780. Other structures were transformed into farms and agricultural warehouses, arranging some sharecroppers. An entire wing was demolished and, in the meantime, acts of vandalism and profanations were not lacking.
In the First World War it was occupied as a rear-view barracks, while in the second it was initially used as a powder magazine and later as a place of collection and accommodation for the displaced people following the bombing of Padua.
Currently the entire complex is privately owned, the counts Passi, heirs of the Zugno, and partly used as a peasant house.
The visit is possible only externally and it is strongly advisable for the fascination that this relatively intact corner of the Paduan countryside provokes and must be made by bicycle along the bank of the Brenta river.
September 10, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!