Bike Touring Highlight (Segment)
Until 2004, the building of today's "Schifferkaffee" housed the ship's equipment company "Herrmann Thiessen", a kind of "mom and pop" shop for sailors. Some of the old interior has been preserved. Already twice served the listed building as a maritime backdrop for a crime scene in Kiel ("Fathers", "Borowski and the lonely heart").
August 18, 2017
The Tiessenkai was built in 1895 during the construction of the Kiel Canal. On May 26, 1933, the original name "Am Kai" was determined by a municipal resolution. By resolution of the Kiel council meeting of 26 May 1977, the name was renamed. By another decision of the same body of 18 May 2006, the part of the lighthouse was renamed to the Tonhof in Holtenauer roadstead.The name refers to the company Hermann Tiessen, a ship chandler who had his sales rooms here. Today there is a café in the rooms, which is a popular excursion destination, because from here you have a beautiful view over the Kiel fjord.The buildings on Tiessenkai are listed in the list of cultural monuments in Kiel-Holtenau.kiel-wiki.de/Tiessenkai
July 5, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.