Bike Touring Highlight
From the eleventh century in Westkapelle a St. Willibrord consecrated church as a subsidiary church of the Westminster to Middelburg detectable. The local clergyman initially cared for a large area pastoral care, until gradually daughter churches were chased: Around 1235 West Domburg, Meliskerke, Sint Janskerke, Boudewijnskerke and Werendijke, about 1271 Poppekerke and Zoutelande. The original Sint Willibrorduskerk had to be laid down because of the encroaching North Sea. So they decided to build a new church further inland. This was built between 1458 and 1470. It was a late Gothic, three-aisled hall church. In the Eighty Years War between Spain and Holland (1568-1648), the church was badly damaged. 1580 was the partial reconstruction.
1818 a coastal light was installed on the spire. That was not so outlandish, because even before the high tower served the ships as a landmark during the day. In 1831 there was a fire in the tower. The remainder of the church building, the nave, was destroyed. The tower was preserved and henceforth served as a lighthouse (Wikipedia).
August 19, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!