Today's Grenzau district goes back to the castle of the same name, in whose castle peace it was located together with Kammerforst. A document from 1338 speaks of a house and a bailey at Grenzau Castle. It was probably the core of the village of Grenzau. This was granted city rights under the Frankfurt law by Baldwin of Luxembourg in 1346, but these were never used. Even after the castle was no longer used, the castle peace district remained, so that the inhabitants of Grenzau were still free from frondervices in 1756. At times the place seems to have been closely connected to Kammerforst. In 1723 Grenzau and Kammerforst were mentioned as a common municipality, in 1813 a common mayor was mentioned for both. In 1775, however, Kammerforst had its own mayor.
December 21, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.