Doggersberg - concentration camp forced labor camp: The tunnel was built from May 1944 to April 1945 by prisoners of the concentration camp Hersbruck, a subcamp of the Flossenbürg concentration camp, in forced labor. Here should be produced for a planned underground factory (U-relocation) war-important BMW aircraft engines. The construction management and the SS command staff were in Happurg. The cover name was "Ash 1".As a rule, the prisoners came on foot the five-kilometer-long route from the barracks camp in Hersbruck and worked in two shifts. From Pommelsbrunn station, a conveyor track led up to the Houbirg construction site for material transport. By the end of the war, 0.5 million cubic meters of sandstone were broken in 3.9 kilometers of tunnels; of which about 750 meters were concreted. The total area should have been 100,000 square meters, of which only 15,000 square meters were completed. During this time, the concentration camp outside camp was occupied by around 9,500 prisoners, during which time around 4,000 people lost their lives due to working and living conditions.Source: Wikipedia (de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerstollen)
September 3, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!