The Niederburg lies on a rock in the Liesertal below the upper castle in stone throw distance to this.
But it is separated from the upper castle by the river Lieser, which surrounds the Niederburg from three sides. This valley once had the advantage of being able to control traffic and shut it down in case of conflict.
In 1173 (according to other sources 1133), the Niederburg is first mentioned in a document. It is the ancestral seat of the for the Eifel (and partly beyond) in the Middle Ages became significant gender of the Lords of Manderscheid, who ruled here as bailiffs of the Abbey Echternach on Luxembourg territory.
In the course of time large areas of the Gaus Bedense (Bitburg), including the suburb of Niedermanderscheid, were donated to the abbey from the royal possession ...Source: WikipediaA considerable development of the castle and the fortifications took place under Wilhelm V. von Manderscheid, who also extended them over the suburb Niedermanderscheid.
April 30, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!