Mountain Biking Highlight
The Chinese House, also known as the Chinese Tea House, is a garden pavilion in the park Sanssouci in Potsdam. Frederick the Great had the building erected about seven hundred meters southwest of the summer palace of Sanssouci to decorate its ornamental and vegetable garden. The master builder Johann Gottfried Büring was commissioned with the planning and, following sketches by the king in the years 1755 to 1764, created a pavilion in the contemporary taste of the Chinoiserie, a mixture of ornamental stylistic elements of Rococo and parts of East Asian styles.The unusually long construction period of nine years is due to the Seven Years' War, during which the economic and financial situation of Prussia suffered considerably. Only after the end of the war, 1763, the cabinets were equipped inside the garden pavilion. Since the building, in addition to its function as a decorative garden architecture occasionally served as an exotic backdrop for smaller festivities, Frederick the Great gave orders to build a Chinese kitchen a few meters southeast of the Chinese House. After a renovation in 1789, only the hexagonal windows remind of the East Asian character of the former utility building.Also under the influence of the Chinoiserie a few years later, on the northern edge of the park Sanssouci adjacent Klausberg, the Dragon House in the form of a Chinese pagoda. With these buildings Frederick the Great followed the 18th century Chinese fashion, which spread first in France, then in England and Germany.
March 21, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!