The Ponte dell’Accademia bridge in Venice spans the Grand Canal and connects Campo San Vidal with the busy Campo della Carità, as well as the Sestieri San Marco with Dorsoduro. It owes its name to the Galerie dell'Accademia, as the most important collection of paintings in Venice on Campo della Carità is called. There were plans to build a bridge at this point as early as the 15th century, but only under the Austrian k.u.k. Administration was opened on November 20, 1854, the iron bridge constructed according to the plans of the English architect Neville.
May 13, 2020
Coming from the direction of San Marco, you first come across the bridge at the Accademia (Gallerie dell'Accademia - Picture Gallery). The first bridge was built here in the 19th century, which, in keeping with the technical achievements of that time, was made of iron. In the early 20th century, people wanted to replace this structure. For this purpose, a competition was announced in 1933, which the architects Torres and Briazza won.
August 21, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!