Bike Touring Highlight
Built by order of King Friedrich Wilhelm II between 1792 and 1794, the library resembles a gothic chapel. It is located in the south of the New Garden, idyllically situated on the Holy See.Opening hours of the New Garden all year round: Mon. to Sun .: 06:00 - approx. 21:00
May 1, 2015
The Gothic library as a two-storey tower pavilion made of sandstone is a sight in the New Garden of the state capital Potsdam. The two-storey, octagonal, pavilion-like tower building is enclosed by a four-sided arcade. In the basement there is a high window front and three stone arches on each side, which open up wide steps on the two land sides. A spiral staircase decorated with railings leads outside to the terrace and the room on the upper floor. The sandstone building shows a neo-Gothic character, which is also continued inside the delicate star vaults.  The building is crowned by a gold-colored tip made of several spheres. The Gothic library is located directly on the pointed south bank of the Holy Lake and is in sight of the marble palace. The waterfront location is north of the park entrance to the New Garden, near the intersection of Mangerstrasse and Behlertstrasse in Potsdam's Nauener Vorstadt district.
July 15, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.