Bike Touring Highlight
The war memorial was created in stages between 1879 and 1905 by the Kiel architect Heinrich Moldenschardt and the Berlin sculptor Rudolf Siemering. The Moldenschardt sandstone structure was initially supplemented with a figure frieze made of terracotta, which was so weathered in 1905 that it was replaced by a cast bronze. The semicircular building with its bench bears the frieze divided in the middle, between the two halves of which there is a higher tower, which bears the names of the 26 citizens of Kiel who died in the Franco-Prussian War in 1870/71.
July 5, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!