Beautifully designed chapel (different from the many others in the area) with a mosaic crossroads and parking. Suitable as a starting point for hikes through the municipality of Schwalbach, e.g. to the Krickelsberg tower or to the open-air stageThe forest chapel, also known as the Marienkapelle, is one of the chapels that were built in many places after the Second World War as places of thanks and reflection.For the then pastor Alois Hellbrück, the great admirer of Mary, who worked as a pastor in Schwalbach from 1946 to 1989, the establishment of this chapel was a matter close to the heart. In 1950 his wish could be implemented with the help of many volunteers. In the same year the chapel was named and placed under the protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary.The Way of the Cross with 14 stations in the history of Jesus' suffering and one station that shows the resurrection of Christ was built in 1977. Even before you cross the Stations of the Cross, the chapel with its porch, supported by four natural pillars, comes into view. Above it is written in gold letters: "THE MOTHER OF THE LORD IN THE HOLY YEAR MCML" (1950).The designs and the artistically valuable mosaic works on the forest chapel and the Way of the Cross were carried out by Professor Tristan Ruhlmann from Haguenau in collaboration with the Schwalbach painter Werner Busche on the initiative of the then pastor Alois Hellbrück. A plaque in the hall to the chapel commemorates its builder Alois Hellbrück.(Source: "Kapellen im Saarland" by Benno König)
May 16, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.