First documented mention 1213.
Besieged and destroyed in 1282. Due to a reconstruction ban, a new castle was built after 1344 with double curtain wall and residential tower.
Since the 16th century, the castle was left to decay and demolished in 1689 in the Palatinate War of Succession.
The castle was given its present appearance by Baron Nikolaus von Kirsch-Puricelli, a wealthy industrialist and owner of the Rheinböllerhütte, who built a neo-gothic residential castle in the English style between 1899 and 1902 by the Regensburg-based architect Strebel. Further residential buildings and a lookout tower were built on the grounds of the outer bailey. Reichenstein was the last castle in the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, which was rebuilt in the spirit of Rhine Romanticism.Today, the complex houses a castle museum with a large collection of historic weapons and armor, as well as cast-iron Takenplatten from the Stromberger Neuhütte and the Rheinböllerhütte, a restaurant and since the end of 2015, a hotel. In the castle, the living rooms are still preserved as they were over a hundred years ago. In the castle chapel and the old premises weddings can still take place today.More information: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Reichenstein_(Mittelrhein)
August 6, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!