Bike Touring Highlight
The Achim St. Lawrence Church is the largest country church between the old bishoprics of Bremen and Verden and at the same time Achim's oldest building. In 1257, the Achim church was first mentioned by the Bremen Bishop Gerhard II. However, there is clear evidence that the church is older. In the tower there is a - however difficult to decipherable - inscription, which indicates the construction year 1091.
The original Romanesque field stone construction was repeatedly expanded and rebuilt in the course of time. The original masonry can be seen on the tower and in the south wall until today. In the first half of the 14th century was the construction of the almost square choir and the transept, whose south wing is designed larger than the north wing. Originally the church had a flat wooden ceiling. In the time of late Gothic (1350-1500) this was replaced by a Wulstrippengewölbe.In the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648), the entire interior of the church was lost, which Tilly, commander of the Catholic League, destroyed and burned.
The interior of the church underwent many changes and renovations.
The church received its present look during a major renovation in the 1960s.The baroque altar was created in 1750 by the Verden sculptor Arend Meyer. It is striking that in the representation of the cross, the legs of Jesus Christ are set in parallel. This depiction had become uncommon at the time of the creation of the altar. At the altar top are playing putti and a Christ with a banner of victory. The altar is a foundation of the Lord of Wedding and his son-in-law, with which a family grave stone was acquired at the tower.
June 22, 2019
The St. Lawrence Church was probably built on a former pagan place of worship. First mentioned in 1257, the building is the oldest building in the city. The church served as a refuge during times of war and fires. Originally built as a Romanesque field stone (split tower stones are found on the tower and south wall), new windows were opened in late Gothic (14th century). An extension to the east and the cultivation of two chapels in the north and south also fall into the Gothic era. The existing flat ceiling was replaced by a beaded vault. In the Mandelsloh and in the Clüverkapelle are old grave monuments and two marble sarcophagi of an ancient Achim noble family. The clock in the tower of the church, already mentioned in writing in 1574, is controlled electronically today. On the first floor are still remains of the Furtwängler clock from 1864. At the 1631 built pulpit, the four evangelists are shown. The late Baroque altar from 1750 shows magnificent gold- and ivory-colored side windows. The oldest piece in the church is the late Romanesque baptismal font with a modern bronze cap representing the creation story. In the Clüverkapelle, a figure in a red and gold robe is in a niche. It is the patron saint of Achim Church, Saint Lawrence, who died in 258 for his faith. He was burnt alive on a rust, according to tradition. In 2012, a Baroque painting from the 17th century was discovered as part of an interior renovation.
June 25, 2019
The rural church of St. Lawrence in Achim in Lower Saxony (Verden district) is the oldest and largest country church between the former bishoprics of Bremen and Verden (Aller). The church dedicated to St. Lawrence of Rome is the oldest building in the city and is used by the Protestant-Lutheran church of St. Lawrence Achim (Wikipedia).
July 1, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.