Mountain Biking Highlight
History of the Castle Mill Lippholthausen:In the district of Lippholthausen, which today belongs to Lünen, stood until the end of the 1970s, the House Buddenburg, which also included the castle mill.
From the 14th century to the year 1902, the house Buddenburg was owned by the Frydag family to Buddenburg. The Frydags belong to the very old Westphalian Uradel. The family was first mentioned in documents in 1198. Around 1535, the aristocratic family built a watermill south of the Brunnenstraße and opposite the Schlossallee. On the former river Henebecke a large mill pond was dug.Then the runs of the Henebecke, Sadbecke, Wilbecke and Seltenbecke were redirected so that they flowed directly into the new mill pond and fed it with water. A hardshell for the farmers of BuddenburgThe excavated earth masses were used to build a Landwehr, which protected the mill and the mill pond from the south. Parts of this historic weir are still preserved in the immediate vicinity of the mill.After the mill had been completed and put into operation, the farmers in the area of Buddenburg had a forced meal: they all had to come to the castle mill to have their grain grinded.From the beginning of the 16th century mill built today is no longer preserved. But today's mill building already has a stately number of years under its belt: it was built in 1760 by Wessel Giesbert von Frydag.In 1903 Haus Buddenburg and the Schlossmühle came into the possession of the Rüxleben family through inheritance. This finally sold the property in 1913 to the city of Lünen. Until 1930, grain was ground in the castle mill.
July 29, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!